Monday, December 5, 2011

Stuff I like: China Glaze nail polish

I admit it: I'm not the best dresser. I wear mostly black and grey, and the drabness of my wardrobe would give Stacy and Clinton fits. But if I ever make it on "What Not To Wear," there's one thing they won't be able to nitpick: my nails.

I do my own nails at least once a week, and most of the colors in my 110-bottle collection are by China Glaze. The photo on the left shows a sample of what I own. Yes, I have a lot of blues and greens in there (and greys, purples, and black along with the more normal reds and pinks). You know that cozy feeling you get when you gaze at a fresh box of crayons? That's how I feel when I look at my polishes. Yeah, I'm a dorky girly girl that way.

China Glaze doesn't have the brand recognition of its rival OPI, but I have to say that China Glaze has OPI beat in both quality and colors, hands down (pun intended). The fact it's several dollar cheaper per bottle helps as well. I'd given up on manicures for years until a friend suggested trying China Glaze -- she called them her "easy mani" polishes, and she was right. The polishes flow smoothly and are easy to control, with no bubbles, bare spots, or uneven patches. Two tricks: use an orange stick to clean up pooling around the nail (you can scrub off any polish on your skin the next time you shower) and use Seche Vite top coat for a faster drying time and a shiny finish.

Right now, I'm wearing an emerald green glitter called Emerald Sparkle and I'm already thinking about what my next color will be. Shiny navy blue? Shimmery grey? Glossy army green? 80s-inspired hot pink? Classic red? Decisions, decisions.