Sunday, October 23, 2011

It's almost NaNoWriMo time



It's almost November, and you know what that means -- National Novel Writing Month! Each year, tens of thousands of writers all over the world attempt to write 50,000 words in 30 days.

I've participated in NaNo a few times and have always had so much fun. It's a great way to bang out a draft of a novella or the first part of a novel. HARD BARGAIN started as a 2008 NaNo project and, to my surprise, eventually became my first published book.

The best part of NaNo is the camaraderie. For one crazy month, everyone seems to be a writer, and that's a wonderful thing. Since I know very few writers in real life, NaNo write-ins are a great way to meet people who enjoy storytelling as much as I do. I love seeing so many other people sharing my passion for writing.

I haven't decided whether I'm officially participating in NaNo this year, but I have to say the timing is excellent. I turned in my final edits for AN IMPERFECT WIFE on Friday, so that gives me a whole week to plan the next novella I want to write. NaNo might just be the perfect way to get the first draft done.

Are you participating in NaNo? What do you love about it?